Saturday, November 05, 2005

For the love of Asian Food


I noticed this icon while on the Asia Society webpage.

It's a link to a website that is devoted to all things about Asian food.

It's divided into sections with recipes, features on different aspects of Asia food, links to other online Asian food sources, a glossary of terms, an easy navigable list of NYC Asian food restaurants and even a listing of cooking schools that feature Asian themed classes both here in the US and around the world.

I'm impressed with the recipe search engine, which allows you to search by regions and types of dishes. I haven't yet tried any of the recipes, which seem to be mostly pulled from Charmaine Solomon's Encyclopedia of Asian Food as well as a few from the Korea National Tourism Organization.

The restaurant listing (granted it is only for the NYC area, but if you've ever been here, you know just how many Asian food restaurants exist here and how daunting the decision can be to pick one) is quite an extensive compilation. It's divided by region and country and then the neighborhoods of NYC. Judging from the Thai restaurants they have listed in my area, they have a very well rounded listing (you can also send them the name of a restaurant that is not on the list).

The glossary of terms on the main page is also pretty impressive. I've had a few experiences with Asian food recipes that mention ingredients that I can't even pronounce much less figure out what they may taste like or be used for, so I can see myself using this helpful online source.

I'm glad I websurfed my way to this website. It's a helpful and insightful source of the varied tastes that exist in Asian cultures.

* Graphic courtesy of Asia Society

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom said...

My wife is from Burma, everyone in their family has Charmaine Solomon's book, it's the bible. How great to find lot's of it on-line. Thanks for the tip!

4:19 AM  
Blogger Mona said...

very cool site, hadn't even heard of it. thanks for sharing!

4:47 PM  
Blogger Rose said...

oh wow. thank you. I have to do some more work with it, but it's coming along :-)

I like your restaurant index, btw. Nice job :-)

6:40 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home