Friday, August 05, 2005

Another day in Taipei and another typhoon…

So I sit here on my aunt’s couch with not much to do and a typhoon (#2 for the summer) blowing hard against the windows (scary, scary wind). Okay, I’m fudging just a bit. There is a lot for me to do (I have an essay on the Chinese Communist government system that I have yet to start), but for now I’m procrastinating…like usual.

Last night I walked through the apartment door drenched from a sudden typhoon downpour and what do I see? There's my aunt having the LAST of the milk I bought the other day. So, of course, I had no milk to eat with my cereal this morning. Sure, you’re thinking, “Oh, little Rose, stop complaining, it’s not that bad, at least you have other food and a dry place to sleep.” Yes, true, I shouldn’t complain, but it got me thinking that I really do love my milk and cereal in the morning. It’s just one of those meals that I look forward to most everyday. It’s one of my food rituals. Even with all the different chinese breakfast foods available here in Taiwan, I always make sure I have cereal at my aunt’s place.

At home in New York, I often buy two or three cartons of Cheerios from Costco at a time—and that’s just a 2 month supply for me (I live by myself, too). I’m particularly fond of having fresh berries with my Cheerios. I love blueberries, but as a student it can be prohibitively expensive to get them all the time. So I suffer a bit and add chopped strawberries instead. I haven’t been able to find plain Cheerios here in Taipei, so I’ve opted for Kellog’s Cornflakes. For me there’s something so comforting about a big bowl of cereal and milk. I haven't come across fresh berries (or at least ones that look edible), so I've been adding dried cranberries as a substitute. I love the crunch of cornflakes, the creaminess of the milk and the sweet tart flavor of the cranberries. This is going to sound like a television commercial, but it just jumpstarts my day.

So today I wake up with no milk and pretty much nothing but Korean 方便麵 (pronounced: fangbian mian)--instant noodles to eat. Granted, my aunt was a bit creative and cooked them with onions and eggs. And for what it’s worth it was decently tasty. But nothing beats cornflakes and milk for a great morning start.


Korean fangbianmian/instant noodles with eggs and onions

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home