Sunday, July 17, 2005

Tagged, I'm it - A Cookbook Meme

Yes, I'm back. I apologize for the enormous delay since my last post. The Chinese language has overtaken my life apparently. I got a break with the help of Typhoon Haitang. No worries, I'm safe and dry, but a day off from school. Yahoo!

So what do I tackle first?

Well, a few weeks back, Sylvie at Soul Fusion Kitchen tagged me for the cookbook meme that has been going around the food blogosphere. This is my first attempt at a meme, so bear with me.

1. Total number of (cook) books I’ve owned:

Since I’m in Taiwan right now and not exactly near my cookbooks, this is a rough estimate: 12. Yes, that’s not a lot for a foodie, but my mom's collection is somewhere around 350 and I usually just borrow hers when I need to (she doesn’t use all of them simultaneously). I also have quite a few recipes cut from newspapers and magazines that are stuffed in various folders.

2. Last (cook) book I bought:

Does a sort of “diet book” count as a cook book? If so, then I bought French Women Don’t Get Fat by Mireille Guiliano a month before I left for Asia. There are lots of interesting recipes that I look forward to trying when I return to New York. And hopefully shed a few pounds in the process.

3. Last (food) book I read:

Same as above, I read almost the entire book. The author makes quite a few good pointers (most of which I already knew) on eating sensibly and understanding that developing good food habits directly relates to maintaining both a healthy weight and a nutritious lifestyle.

4. Five (cook) books that mean a lot to me:

My mom has a small paperback book, Jewish Cooking, that has a lot of traditional recipes which bring back a lot of great childhood food memories. It’s the best type of cookbook: yellowed from age, a bit smelly and stained with chicken soup.

A children’s book of easy recipes that has a bright orange cover in an flexible binder. The title is unknown since its currently half a world away. It was my first cookbook and I got such a thrill when I made its pancake recipe (I had simple tastes back then as I do now).

The Fannie Farmer Cookbook is my friend. Period.

And The All New Good Housekeeping Cookbook is a good acquaintance.

Pride and Prejudice. Granted it has nothing to do with cooking, but it’s my comfort book and it means a lot to me.

5. Which 5 people would you most like to see fill this out in their blog?

Tanying (what do opera singers like to cook?)

Jesse (I'm curious what he's reading, even it's not food related)

Linda (I miss Chicago and its food)

Clotilde (Can i even ask the high goddess of food blogging? According to Ana from Pumpkin Pie Bungalow, my favorite French food blogger has been tagged quite a few times already.)

Noodlepie (I don't know if a guy who eats his way around Saigon--and he will eat almost anything it seems--would own a cookbook, but I'm curious)

2 Comments:

Blogger Ana said...

Hi Rose

Thanks for letting me know. I've updated the History of the 5 cookbooks. You will notice that I did not include your tag to the non-food blog, because I'm only keeping track of the food bloggers. Sill, you have 4 others.

6:54 AM  
Blogger sylvie1950 said...

Hi Rose. Glad you are safe and dry. Thanks again for participating.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home