Sunday, May 29, 2005

and away I go...

I'm off on a 3 month journey through Asia. I will trek to various destinations in Japan, Korea, Taiwan and mainland China (including Dunhuang, yay!). My exploration in food shall be an intersting tale I'm sure. I'm particularly keen on Korean food--I loooove Korean food. I have days filled with dreams of bibimbop, bulgogee, BBQ, and all that wonderful bahn-chan (the little dishes of fermented, preserved, or marinated vegetables and radishes that are ubiquitous on any visit to a Korean restaurant). My classmate, E.H. has given me some tips on what I should try to eat while I'm in Seoul and I'll dutifully report what I've chowed on.

Having lived previously in Taiwan and China, I'm not as excited about what food I may encounter, although I'm sure I'll be much more attentive now that I am blogging about what I eat. Maybe it's because I've eaten so much Taiwanese and Chinese food over the years that they don't have the same cache like muching on some new (at least to me) Korean specialty or Japanese delicacy. So I'm going to make a promise to myself right now that I will try some Chinese dishes that I didn't dare before, like "chou dofu" (stinky tofu).

Preparing for my upcoming trip triggered memories of the last trip I took to mainland China with Mama Rose. I started digging through the photographs I took on that trip and realized I shot some food related images. I was already documenting my forays into food well before starting this blog and I didn't even realize I was doing it at the time! So below I've posted some of these photos.

I may not have much in the way of internet access during the first leg of my trip, so when I can post again is uncertain...but there's more to come. Stay tuned!

2 Comments:

Blogger sylvie1950 said...

Welcome to the foodblogging world. Your first post sounds a lot like my first discovery of food sites and the impact it has had on my daily routine.

Looking forword to your experiences from China.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Sam said...

have a fun trip and - heh - keep us posted when you can!

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home